“Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve.” ~Napoleon Hill
You’ve heard of masterminds but you’re not sure what they are? Probably because each of them is different. They’re not supposed to be group coaching or training classes, and they’re not supposed to be social hours…though this is what many of them turn out to be. Coined by Napoleon Hill in his classic book Think and Grow Rich, the term mastermind refers to the “third mind” that seems to exist when multiple men put their heads together (so to speak) and focus their mental energies on helping one another. Like we say, two heads are better than one, and in a mastermind, the proper structure allows you to be the recipient of concentrated help and support from a group of similar professionals. Should you belong to one? Frankly, you MUST belong to one. Here are just 8 quick reasons why you should not walk, but RUN, to apply to a mastermind group.
- You’re a guy. Which means you don’t always share your struggles or concerns or failures or feelings. Women are conditioned to do this—it’s actually how they bond with other women. But men? Eh, not so much. But you need to do it so you can bounce ideas around in a safe place, vent about troubles, and ask for help without worrying you’ll come across as weak.
- You always let yourself off the hook. Business owners are basically only accountable to their customers and employees, which means you don’t really HAVE to set goals for your business. And when you do set goals, if you don’t reach them, who will know? No one unless you tell them about it. No one, that is, except your mastermind.
- You never let yourself off the hook. If you’re hard on yourself all the time, your mastermind will let you know when you should go a little easier.
- You need to know how you’re coming across to others. As former Google CEO Eric Schmidt said (watch 40-second video here), “one thing you can never do is see yourself the way others see you.” This is where your mastermind can be a mirror so you can see a truer reflection of yourself.
- You will have access to the resources of everyone in your group. Imagine being able to ask for something and have several people work with you to get it. In fact, imagine not even being aware of what you need and having these same people see it clearly and offer you the help that will push you to the next level. That’s what a mastermind can do for you.
- You will have access to a greater network of people. It’s currently thought that each adult has access to a network of 225 people who have positive feelings toward us, meaning they would take our phone calls and be happy to do so. If you have your own 225, and the other guys each have their 225, that means even in a small group of 8 mastermind members, you now have access to 1,800 people.
- You have expertise to share. There is something magical about using your experience and knowledge to help someone else excel. You have that expertise but might not know how to use it to bless the businesses of others. You share with your mastermind, and they share with you. It’s a give-give, receive-receive, WIN-WIN for everyone!
- You need a coach. And being in a mastermind is like having a bunch of coaches. A recent study showed that if you hire a coach, you’re 7 times more likely to reach your goals than if you go it alone. Imagine having 5 or 10 coaches. Would that mean being 50 times more likely to succeed? I don’t know, but it’s an interesting thought! A coach holds you accountable, encourages you, helps you create plans and roadmaps to your goals, supports you, answers questions, gives advice, lets you vent and complain, tells you when you stop venting and complaining, and sees the very, very best in you even when you can’t see it yourself. A mastermind is like a coach on steroids—in a great way!
Every man needs to belong to a mastermind. Every CEO and Fortune 500 guy you’ve ever heard of belongs to one. That’s because you can’t do it alone. You may have gotten pretty far by yourself, but to hit the next level, you need to belong to a group that will help you get there.
There are OC Men’s Mastermind and Accountability Groups forming right now. And when you apply for membership and are accepted into a group, you get a short, private coaching session with me every month, too. So it’s the best of all worlds when it comes to improving yourself as a business owner and professional. Contact me directly to find out more or visit www.proteacoaching.com/mma to set up a call with me today AND get a copy of the e-book Think and Grow Rich for yourself!
Rachel French, Certified Professional Coach and your Mastermind Mentor, (949) 478-0292, Rachel@proteacoaching.com